Monday, September 16, 2013

Encouraging Individuality in our Kids...

** warning.. images are not very clear due to a quick toddler :) **
This post was pre-written but due to having surgery and other family things I saved it for posting until now.
 
Today I'm going to tell you a story about baby J.
While he loves to play with his cars/trucks and to throw his ball. He also likes to be "pretty". He will be 2 years old in November and since daddy goes to work, he has spent lots of time with Mommy and his big sister The Princess...
It was recently brought to my attention that I shouldn't let him walk around in my high heels.
 
"Hmmm...." I thought to myself when this was said to me. "I don't know a little boy in the world who hasn't walked around in his mamas heels before..." I said to this person. I should know! I have 5 (count them!) nephews!!! This person responded with "well....MY son never did."
 
Again, "hmmm...." I thought. Well how about I show you some pictures here..




 
When baby J walked out in my heels this morning, wearing The Princess' headband on his head, I looked at him and thought... Why do we (meaning people in general) have such a massive gender stereotyping issue?? Does walking in my heels, playing with my purse and wearing my lip balm mean my son will grow up to be a cross dresser or make him believe that he is a girl?
 
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!
 
Why is it that I am supposed to be made to feel (by other peoples standards) like a bad mom because I let my son have fun in his own way?? Why are we not encouraging our children to explore their lives to the fullest?? After all...all he was doing was copying what he sees his mommy and his sister do... Is it so wrong for our sons to look up to us and want to copy us? I don't think so..
 
When my son walked in wearing these things calling "mommy! mommy!" he said "I pretty!!" I smiled and said "yes baby, you are very pretty!"
 
Encourage your children people!! Let them explore their world so that they can find out who they are!! Your little girl playing with cars and super hero's  or your son playing with dolls and dress up clothes isn't going to ruin them! Let them be who they are.... after all - they are only little once...
 
~Casey


1 comment:

  1. Awesome post!! I adore this!! :) You're doing a great job, mamma!!! <3

    ReplyDelete